#TakeAction – May 1, 2019
Welcome to May! Let’s #TakeAction for Wednesday, May 1, 2019.
🔶 Ask our Representative to Defund Hate
🔶 Cosponsor the Green New Deal Resolution
🔶 Fight All Forms of Family Separation
1. (ACTION) Ask our Representative to Defund Hate
- Background: While Democratic control of the House has given us a firewall against some of the worst Republican attacks, Trump’s attacks against immigrants continue. He shut down the government for over a month in an effort to get his hateful wall, and has already requested billions more for ICE and CBP in next year’s budget, “FY20.” He hopes to use the money to pay for his wall, more ICE and CBP agents, and more cages for immigrant families. Fortunately, the Constitution gives Congress—not the White House—the sole power to appropriate money. That means that Democrats can define the terms of this debate through the appropriations process. The Defund Hate Campaign is a coalition of immigrant rights and progressive organizations that have been working for two years to get Congress to reduce funding for ICE and CBP, the two agencies most responsible for tearing apart immigrant families. Co-chaired by Detention Watch Network (DWN) and United We Dream (UWD), the coalition seeks to divest from immigration detention and enforcement, and invest in programs that we actually need, like health care and education. Indivisible is a proud member and partner of the Defund Hate Campaign.
- Source: Indivisible: https://indivisible.org/…/tell-your-representative…
2. (ACTION) Cosponsor the Green New Deal Resolution
- Background: The Green New Deal would be a broad-based package with elements that would benefit every single American—which means there are reasons for every Democrat to support the resolution in favor of it. While the benefits may look different in each district, this is an opportunity for your MoC to be a leader on protecting the planet while also bringing home once-in-a-generation benefits to their constituents.
- Indivisible: https://indivisible.org/…/tell-your-democratic-member…
3. (ACTION) Fight All Forms of Family Separation
Trump will continue to attack immigrants. And the biggest fights we’ll see over the next two years will likely be over the funding levels for those agencies implementing Trump’s out-of-control deportation machine. However, House Democrats have introduced a series of bills that would undo some of the damage to immigrant, refugee, and Muslim communities and provide relief for those at risk of deportation.
- Sources: Indivisible: https://indivisible.org/…/fight-all-forms-family…
We are posting more and more events (both for our group and outside of it) on our calendar. Check it out! http://www.indivisible-wa8.com/calendar/
Friends not on FB and want to join our efforts? Sign up for email: http://eepurl.com/cChJwD