#TakeAction – January 21, 2020
For today’s #TakeAction call WA Representatives Chambers or Thai about healthcare benefit management if you live in LD25 or LD41. If you don’t live in those districts, call our Senators to insist the impeachment trial starting today is not a cover-up:
🔶 Ask Representatives Chambers and Thai to vote HB 1562 out of their committee
🔶 Ask our Senators to support fair and open impeachment trial
1. Healthcare benefit management in WA
Action: Call your WA Representative on the Health Care and Wellness Committee: Kelly Chambers (LD25); My-Linh Thai (LD41) before 1:30 p.m. Ask them to vote HB 1562 – Health care benefit management out of their committee.
Date: The WA House Health Care and Wellness Committee will hear HB 1562 at 1:30 p.m. today, January 21.
Action: Call your WA Representative on the Health Care and Wellness Committee: Kelly Chambers (LD25); and My-Linh Thai (LD41).
Ask them to vote HB 1562 – Health care benefit management out of their committee.
• Hearing subject to change – check for hearing room by calling the legislative hotline at 1.800.562.6000.
• To address increases in the cost of prescription drugs, private employer groups, individual states and the federal government have used the services of pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs) – “middlemen” entities designed to process prescription claims for insurance companies and plan sponsors.
• Today, PBMs have leveraged their “middlemen” position and now significantly influence almost every aspect of the prescription drug marketplace for about 95% of the U.S. population, raking in billions of dollars in rebates, administrative fees and pharmacy spreads with essentially no governmental regulation or oversight.
• A similar situation exists with other aspects of health care services, such as radiology services, which are significantly impacted by the use of radiology benefit managers (RBMs).
• HB 1562 would establish a system for licensure of such “middlemen” health care benefit managers, and would regulate various aspects of their activities to assure transparency, to impose a fiduciary obligation to patients and beneficiaries, to assure compliance with state and federal laws, and to provide a forum for consumer complaints.
2. Ask our Senators to support fair and open impeachment trial
Action: Call your Senators, ask Senator Murray / Senator Cantwell to speak out loudly and firmly about the need for a fair and open impeachment trial in the Senate with testimony from firsthand witnesses and evidence from newly found documents: https://indivisible.org/demand-your-senators-support-fair…
Background: We’ve seen the mountain of evidence that proves Donald Trump is a criminal and has no business serving as President of the United States. The Senate is responsible for holding a trial that will determine whether or not Trump is ultimately removed from office. That process is supposed to be fair and impartial, yet Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has already said that he will “coordinate” with Donald Trump to set the rules for Trump’s own trial. This is classic GOP behavior: they can’t win on the merits, so they rig the rules instead. We can’t let that happen. We need to call our senators and let them know that we need a fair trial with testimony from firsthand witnesses and evidence from newly found documents.