Take Action to prevent a default!
The Republican negotiators are offering the administration a terrible choice: Default on America — slashing critical programs and services for schools, veterans, the elderly and disabled, etc. Or, Default on the World — crashing the banking system and the economy internationally. Even if the United States resumes paying principal and interest on Treasury Bills after a “temporary” default, the world’s trust in the USA’s government, banking, and currency will be shaken. Indeed, confidence in the US government is already declining.
As Indivisible Founder Ezra Levin says,
I’d say grab your popcorn, but constituents can and should be part of the show. Those with supportive Democratic representatives should demonstrate support for defeating the hostage-takers. Those with GOP representatives have a time-limited opportunity to directly impact national political strategy. We’re all writing the ending together.Indivisible Blog
The Consequences of a MAGA Default Crisis
This crisis is not the same as previous government shutdowns related to failure to pass a spending bill before the end of the fiscal year. If Republicans force a default crisis, here’s just a sampling of the harms it would cause:
- MAGA Congressional Republicans will destroy our jobs and ability to provide for our families, throwing millions out of work and reversing our historic job growth during the Biden presidency.
- Savings would be ripped away from hard working people looking to retire with dignity.
- Medicare payments will be delayed for seniors who rely on it for life-sustaining health care.
- Prices for everything from groceries to gas would rise.
- Credit card rates would rise, sending millions of families into financial stress.
- Mortgages could become more than $100,000 more expensive over their 30 year term.
- Seniors could lose social security checks.
How to Take Action
You can text the number in the graphic above to get help connecting to our Representative, or call scripts are available here.